A story of going from being a non-runner to planning for a marathon in three years...

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

A New Balance

 

stock-photo-5861755-balance

 

Last night I could barley keep my head up on the train home.  The woman next to must have felt the same way because I’m pretty sure she was asleep. 

Anyway, I really thought about skipping running group.  I’m not training for anything and I haven’t been running very much anyway.  But, I recalled that every other time I’ve felt exhausted after work a run perks me right back up.

This time was no exception.  The New Balance rep was at the store and I tried out some New Balance 860s.  In the past I never would have tried shoes because I’d be too worried about getting injured.  However, now that I’m still kind of injured I figure why not?

Plus, running in the trial shoes gets you entry into raffles.  I like raffles.

The shoes felt kind of like Brooks Adrenalines (which I used to wear) but with a wider toe-box.  Actually they fit really nicely.  Just not quite enough support for me.  Sad. 

Also sad?  I forgot my Garmin!!  Argh. I hate when I do that.  So, I ran “naked”.  Actually, I was running with a few people who were wearing Garmins so I had a general idea of how fast we were going.  Somewhere between 9:00 and 10:00 minutes miles, I believe. 

Actually, my run felt really strong.  I was pushing it but I didn’t feel too out of breath.  Nothing hurt and I could have easily kept going.  I guess I didn’t lose as much fitness as I thought!  Or, perhaps, it was because the weather got colder again and I was a tad bit underdressed.

My leg feels pretty good today, too.  It doesn’t love sitting at my desk for long periods of time so I just went for a walk (read: shopping) at lunch. 

The other awesome thing about last night’s run?  Remember that raffle I mentioned?  I won something!

newbalance_shirt

An adorable pink and purple new balance tech shirt!  And it’s a women’s extra small so it should actually fit!  I’m more excited about winning this than I would have been about winning a pair of shoes.  Looking forward to breaking it in soon.