A story of going from being a non-runner to planning for a marathon in three years...

Monday, February 21, 2011

Weekly Workout Wround Up

February 14th - February 20th

Feb 14

Happy Valentine's Day! What better way to celebrate than with a workout that leaves you grunting, panting, and sweating?

Get your minds out of the gutter.

Monday night's CrossFit workout consisted of

7 wall balls (with a 14 pound ball)
7 push ups
7 sit ups

Times 7.

Yes, we did all of that 7 times. For time, too, by the way. And my final time even started with a 7! 7:44 to be exact.

Plus, of course, our warm up consisting of 100 jumping jacks, deadlifts, cleans, presses, and push presses (with the 45 pound barbell).

I love that we all cheer for one another. It's so encouraging (and fun!) to clap and shout for your classmates.

Feb 15

3.5 miles on the treadmill cut short by intestinal distress as opposed to shin distress. That's.....good?

Feb 16

Wednesday night's CrossFit workout was possibly my most favorite one yet. Not only did I rock the socks off of it but, well, it played to all my strengths!

As usual, we started out with our warm up. 300 meters of rowing, arm circles, leg swinging, and practicing our cleans and presses. And, yes, I can press a 45 pound bar over my head. Not very many times, but I can.

The full on work out consisted of the following:

400 meter row
15 lunges
15 ring rows
15 thrusters (I did mine with a 35 pound barbell)
15 sit ups
400 meter RUN

Oh yeah, baby. On the first night of class our trainer asked us why were there. When it was my turn I said, "I'm a distance runner but it's winter and it's horrible outside. I wanted to try something different."

So on Wednesday when the trainer said we'd be running everyone's eyes turned to me. And because I'm pretty strong at all of the things that comprised this workout, I did it in 6:56. I probably could have done it faster, too. Can I do this one again and see how much time I can shave off??

Feb 17

5.8 miles with some super speedy intervals.

Feb 18

Friday night's CrossFit workout was short but not so sweet. In fact, my left wrist is still trying to recover from my inability to correctly execute a kettlebell (kb) clean.

After doing our warm up (400 meter run, shoulder mobility exercises, and barbell deadlift, clean, press, push press, and push jerk practice) we practiced the kettlebell clean which almost brought me to tears. It's a lot hard than it looks and my body just didn't want to be that coordinated. Still, I persevered and did the following workout:

10 kb cleans
10 Squats
9 kb cleans
9 squats
8 kb cleans
8 squats
And on down the line until you do 1 kb clean and 1 squat. A total of 55 squats and 55 kb cleans (split between each arm).

I finished first (in just under 5 minutes) but maybe if I'd taken more time with the kb cleans my arm would thank me.

Feb 19

Longest run since the marathon! I did just over 13 miles. Hard to believe that this time last year I was struggling to do 13 miles at a 10 minute pace and now I easily did it faster than that.

But you know how some runs leave you feeling refreshed and others wipe you out for the rest of the day? This was one of the latter. The run was great but I spent the rest of the day hobbling around my house with various lower limb aches and pains. Boo.


Feb 20

I got my grocery store errands done earlier than usual and with no other plans for the day I hopped on my bike trainer for an episode of Bones. I probably pedal for between 30 and 40 minutes. My legs felt pretty shredded after Saturday's long run so I took it easy. I guess I don't need a bike thong quite yet.

Total mileage: 23
Total strength workouts: 3