A story of going from being a non-runner to planning for a marathon in three years...

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Stressed Out




I finally decided to go see someone about my shin since although it's been fine (mostly) while running it still occasionally aches. To be honest, it hurt so bad when I woke up Sunday morning I worried I'd done some major damage.

So I got a recommendation for a good sports medicine doctor who is covered by my insurance and went to see her on Tuesday morning.

After some poking and prodding she found one spot that concerned her.

"You might have a stress reaction," she said.

Apparently this is the precursor to a stress fracture. Turns out my adductors (inner thigh) muscles are really weak and causing me too put too much stress on my calves when I run. Which therefore put too much stress on where my calves connect to my shins.

The bad signs are the tenderness in one specific area. The good signs are that it doesn't hurt to hop up and down, to stand on my tip toes, or while walking or running. I guess I'm kind of an enigma.

For now, though, I'm to take another week off running (boo!) and get an MRI (this afternoon), and see her again on Friday morning to discuss the results.

If I have to take the entire month of March off, so be it. I have a bike trainer, access to a pool, and a gym membership. I'd miss a half marathon and I will certainly shed tears, but it wouldn't be the end of the world. I'll still be able to run in April and although I may not make all the goals I want this year I'll live to run another day.

Right?

P.S. Don't forget my giveaway for custom made energy bars. Comments make me happy!