A story of going from being a non-runner to planning for a marathon in three years...

Saturday, February 26, 2011

The 5(K)'s Have It



Even though the doctor told me I can run, I knew it probably wasn't a good idea to go for my usual Saturday morning long run. So instead I slept in a bit and then went to the gym for the Saturday morning yoga class. Second time around and I still enjoyed it!

After an hour of stretching and posing I decided to jump on a treadmill for a short Saturday run. Just a 5K. Easy 10 minute/mile warm-up, increasing the speed every .10 miles for the next mile, and then slowing back down for the last 1.1. Nothing major. I didn't want to wear myself out. And why not?

Because now that I have the green light to run I'm running the Frosty Footrace 5K with Kim on Sunday! Okay, I'll be honest, I probably would have run it no matter what the doctor said, but now I can do it and not feel guilty.

Kim and I ran this race last year and both placed in our age groups. I'd love to have that happen again but I don't know if I'm in the right shape to repeat my performance. I'm still going to try but I won't be too upset if I don't.

So check back tomorrow afternoon for my race report!