A story of going from being a non-runner to planning for a marathon in three years...

Friday, February 25, 2011

Stress Free




MRI news?

Well, if you haven't figured it out yet, I do not have a stress fracture or a stress reaction. I do technically have a "stress response" but that boils down to an inflamation of the soft tissue next to the bone. My muscle and my periosteum alongside my left tibia are slightly inflamed. Which means I have "Medial Tibial Stress Syndrome". Also known as shin splints.

Yes, all of that for shin splints.

Can someone please explain to me how someone who has been running for almost 4 years gets shin splints? Well, maybe it's partly due to trying to change my gait while doing intervals. But, really, shin splints?

Although I'd much rather have shin splints than a stress reaction or a stress fracture. Because shin splints mean I can RUN!

The doctor told me I need to essentially manage my pain. No runs longer than 5 miles for now. Stop if I feel pain. See a physical therapist twice a week for 4-6 weeks (appointments have already been made) to strengthen my hips, glutes, adductors and abductors. Okay, I can handle that.

My sub-2 hour half marathon might have to wait until fall, but I'm okay with that too. Because I can still run. And that makes me happy.

P.S. You know what also makes me happy? People entering my Element Bar Giveaway! Actually, that should make you happy too.