A story of going from being a non-runner to planning for a marathon in three years...

Saturday, January 17, 2009

Treadmill Ennui

funny pictures
more animals


This morning I woke up around 7:30, ate some cereal, dropped Trinka Deu off at the groomer's, and then checked the weather. As I was checking the weather it start to snow. Again. I was really hoping to be able to do my long run outside today (and use my Garmin Forerunner 405...which hasn't seen use since just after Christmas!) but with a temperature of 10oF and snow and wind I just couldn't face it.

So it was once more into the treadmill breach. I didn't have a DVD to watch so instead I just put on the trusty iPod and set the treadmill to 5.4 miles per hour (about an 11:07 minute/mile pace...just five seconds slower than my training plan says). After a few miles I moved it up to 5.5 MPH. And during my favorite Miley Cyrus song I did 5.6 MPH.

The first two miles went by quickly. The third mile was a little tougher. The fourth and fifth seemed to take forever. But my final mile went by quickly. I wasn't fatigued. My legs weren't tired. But my mind was bored. Today was definitely a struggle of will to complete my entire six miles. But complete them I did.

If all of you could think good thoughts for no more snow and maybe temperatures in the 30s for next weekend I would greatly appreciate it. Or maybe send me a balaclava to wear? Either way, if I don't get running outside it's going to be one interesting transition when it comes to actually doing this half-marathon in April.