A story of going from being a non-runner to planning for a marathon in three years...

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Weekly Workout Wround Up

July 18 - July 24

July 18

5.5 miles on one of the hottest nights of the year. Glad to have that one over with!

July 19

Jason and I lifted weights together in the basement. I moved on to Stage 3 of NROLW because I realized I could do almost all of it in the basement with very little modification. I skipped the squats with weights, though.
3x6 One armed dumbbell snatch
3x6 Dumbbell single-let Romanian deadlift
3x6 Barbell bent-over row
3x6 Dumbbell bench press
Plank 3x90 seconds
3x6 Reverse woodchop
Body matrix x2
The body matrix is interesting. It reminded me of the Crossfit class I took. You don't use weights at all. Instead you do 24 squats, 24 lunges (12 each leg), 24 jump lunges, and 24 jump squats. You time yourself and then rest for double the amount of time it took you to do all of that. Then you do it again. My legs were SCREAMING by the end.

In fact, my legs were so tired that I managed to trip up the stairs of our deck while making dinner and give myself two giant bruises on my knees. Attractive.

July 20

5 miles on the treadmill instead of outside. We've been thinking about dropping my gym membership but, damn, I like having access to a good treadmill for occasions just such as this.

July 21

Rest day! Although I did actually spend time with some women from the running group even though we weren't running. We met downtown Oak Park and attended the "Thursday Night Out." I'd never been but apparently they do it every Thursday. It's kind of like a "taste of" event except you go to the restaurant instead of the restaurant setting up somewhere else. I'd like to go back again, especially now that this heat wave has broken.

July 22

Another rest day.

July 23

10 mile EXTREME race plus 2 mile warm up for a total of 12 miles.

July 24

I really wanted to get out on my bike on Sunday morning but the weather and my body had other plans. It rained all morning and I could not get out of bed. I seriously slept later that I have in months. And it was lovely!

So, to make up for my lack of bike ride, I headed to the gym to do the second workout of stage 3 of NROLW.
Barbell Romanian Deadlift w/bent over row 3x6
Single leg squat 3x6
Wide grip lat pulldown 3x6
Back extension 3x6
"YTWL" 3x6
Swiss Ball Crunch 3x6
Prone Jackknife 3x6
Lateral flexion 3x6
Prone Cobra 3x90 seconds

15 minutes of intervals on the stationary bike (4 miles total)
The YTWL move is hardcore. Seriously. While I was doing it I looked in the mirror at the gym and noticed that it makes my shoulders and arms looked RIPPED. Whoa. And I was only using 7.5 pound weights. Anyway, if you want to see what the move consists of, check out the video.



Total running mileage: 22.5
Total biking mileage: 4 (on the stationary bike)
Total strength workouts: 2

Well, I failed at getting out on my bike but otherwise it was a good week. 20+ miles and 2 strength workouts.