A story of going from being a non-runner to planning for a marathon in three years...

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Monday Night Slog



Say "Hi" to my new running hat. Would you believe that on Monday night while running in that hat and my sunglasses (yes, mom, I wore my sunglasses) that someone mistook me for Coach Holly? That may be the best compliment I've ever gotten!

Not that I was running like Coach Holly. No way. I'd already decided before I even left the house that while I was going running it was definitely going to be more of a run/walk/slog type of evening.

I originally had 8 miles on my schedule but with the temps hovering near 90 and the dew point hovering near 70 I figured I'd do what I could. I recently read this Runners World forum post where they discuss how much humidity and dew point affects running. Basically it boils down to if you add the temperature and the dew point together and it's above 150 then you should just be glad you survived your run.

So I should just be glad I survived my run. I started out pretty strong for a hot, gross night but faded over time. That's okay, though. I was running with a guy who was pushing his daughter in the jogging stroller for the first time so I was slowing down for him. Yeah, that's it.

Anyway, I ended up only doing 5.5 miles. I was starting to get a mild headache and I know that's a sign of heat illness. Even though I brought water with me it didn't seem to make a difference.

The temps are supposed to be horrible all week. And of course I signed up for that 10 mile race this weekend. I forsee some walk breaks during that event, too. Good thing I'm just using it as a training run!

Monday Night OPRC Slog by snmnstrz21 at Garmin Connect - Details