A story of going from being a non-runner to planning for a marathon in three years...

Wednesday, December 21, 2011

My Hips Don't Lie


I've mentioned in a few posts that I had an appointment to see an orthopedic surgeon today to discuss options for my left hip labral tear.

Well, just as you would expect when seeing a surgeon, he recommended surgery.

In fact, he told me that since the labrum is cartilage and basically has no blood supply it won't heal on it's own. He also said that most people wait YEARS before they end up in his office. So, yay for me only taking one year?

On one hand, I'm relieved that they think they can fix this. On the other hand, I've never done anything this major to myself and I really REALLY didn't want to end up here.

And where is here?

  • Laproscopic surgery, tentatively scheduled for January 24th.

  • Six weeks of wearing a hip brace



  • Physical therapy starting the day after surgery

  • Elliptical and bike (and maybe swimming) only starting at 10 weeks

  • Slightly more activity starting at 12-16 weeks

  • No running until at least the 20 week mark and probably more like 9 to 10 months post-surgery


  • Of course, I've been scaring myself silly reading other people's forum posts about this surgery and the recovery. People who say it hurts worse after the surgery. People who say they aren't better after a year or more. I know I should stop reading these.

    I'm trying to take comfort in the fact that there are plenty runners out there that have recovered from major injuries. Beth at Shut Up and Run. Ashley at Healthy Ashley. And I'm sure there are others out there.

    I'm trying to remind myself that I want a lifetime of fitness and that it doesn't all have to happen RIGHT NOW. If I take some time off it's not the end of the world. Yes, I'll have to work on coming back to my post-injury self but that will just be another challenge to tackle.

    Of course, that doesn't mean I'm looking forward to wearing a brace (I see a lot of dresses in my future. That thing is UGLY as sin) or not seeing my running friends every Monday and Saturday. I'm also not looking forward to defending my decision. I've tried PT. I've tried a chiropractor. I've tried ART. Do I want surgery? No. Do I think I need it? Sadly, yes.

    So, that's where I am.

    Pardon me while I go through the Stages of Injury.