A story of going from being a non-runner to planning for a marathon in three years...

Monday, June 11, 2012

An Athlete and an Athletic Supporter

Right after I write about how I can’t get out of bed and workout before work I managed to get up and 3.2 miles on Thursday morning.  Of course, that’s partly because I didn’t have to be anywhere until 10:00 AM instead of 9:00 AM but still.  I ran.  In the morning.  On a weekday. 

It was my first run in my neighborhood and I decided to meander through the university campus just south of us and see where that took me.

Once you get past the university it’s not the most scenic route but the bits through the university were lovely and shaded.

But you know what’s funny?  When I run by myself I run faster than when I run with people.  This used to be the complete opposite.  Not sure what’s happening there.

After my run I showered and got ready for a day of work and errands.  But first I walked (!) to my doctor’s office for a hip check-up.  He ended up doing a technique called “dry needling” to loosen up some of my muscles.  Amazingly, it felt better almost immediately.  Not cured, but better.  He then referred me to another PT who will do some trigger point massage therapy.  This new PT is exactly one block from my apartment which I’m stupidly excited about. 

Who knew I would love living in the city so much?

Other benefits to living in the city?  Being able to go cheer at races!

I rode my bike (thanks, REI, for the new tube!) to the half way point of the Allstate 13.1 Half Marathon on Saturday armed with a tub of Red Vines.  Kim suggested I hand out treats and we picked up these puppies on Friday night.  The runners seemed to enjoy them greatly. 

I had grand plans to do a strength training workout on Sunday after doing an abbreviated one on Thursday evening but ended up relaxing on the couch instead.  Hey, sometimes you need a day to sleep late, enjoy brunch, and read the paper.  Right?