A story of going from being a non-runner to planning for a marathon in three years...

Thursday, April 12, 2012

Life Among Death

iPhone_pictures 003

I got home from work on Wednesday night.  I had a killer headache.  My commute was longer than usual so I was tired.  I really just wanted to curl up on the couch.

But, I didn’t.  Instead I put on my running capris, my new bright pink running shirt, laced up my shoes, cranked the tunes, and set out for a run.

I wanted to run for 30 minutes.  Nothing too crazy.  Just two loops around my neighborhood is a 5K.  But something took over and I found myself running faster than I have in awhile and wanting to explore.  So, I went a different way.  A little off the beaten path.

Into the cemetery. 

The town I live in has a lot of large cemeteries in it.  I think they’re all beautiful and unique.  And peaceful.  The one pictured above was technically closed but I happen to know the back way in.  I just didn’t know the front way out.  So my plan to do a big loop turned into an out-and-back when I realized I had to leave the cemetery the way I came in.  Oh well.

Running in the cemetery is so much fun.  There’s basically no traffic (human or vehicle), it’s quiet, the scenery is different and, as you can see, this one has long straight roads. 

I was having so much fun that I ended up running a sub-9:00 minute pace.  Sure, I ran positive splits and sure I was a little sore afterward but it just felt SO GOOD. 

In the end I did just over 3.5 miles in just over 30 minutes (not counting the one traffic light I got stuck at both ways).  If I hadn’t told Jason I’d be home in 30 minutes I totally would have kept going.  But I think putting a time limit on my run was a good idea.  In fact, I’m thinking about running for time instead of distance more often.

As for the cemetery?  I’ll be back.  There are a lot more of them to explore, too.

Would you run in a cemetery or does the idea creep you out?