A story of going from being a non-runner to planning for a marathon in three years...

Friday, April 27, 2012

Fulfilled Wishes

 

three_wishes

Wednesday evening I wanted to squeeze in a strength workout.  I thought all day about which one to do and ultimate decided on my Top to Bottom workout with the addition of some more push-ups.  I also discovered something else.

 

iphone_photos 007

I’ve been trying to do (and hold) a straight-legged V-sit since 2009!  And, look, I finally accomplished it!!!

And this wasn’t a fluke, either.  My camera was acting up so I had to do it several times before I got this photo. 

I guess all that physical therapy has been good for something!  It’s finally taught me how to use those lazy lower ab muscles. 

Speaking of physical therapy, after my lunch time run on Thursday (approximately 4 miles, pace unknown.  My Garmin battery was dead.) I could feel my hip slowly tightening up as I sat at my desk.  I tried to get up and stretch it out but that’s kind of difficult to do when you’re wearing a sheath dress.

Thankfully I had a physical therapy session scheduled for Thursday evening. She poked and prodded and pushed and then, lo and behold, I could feel just the slightest stretch in my left adductor when I went into a side lunge.  For the first time in almost a year I didn’t feel a strong, horrible pinching sensation in my hip!  It’s still tight but it felt so much better that I started laughing hysterically in the middle of the PT gym.  I really, really hope this means I’ve turned a corner! 

This weekend I probably won’t be working out.  Instead, I’ll be volunteering at the Illinois Marathon.  Course set-up from 4AM – 7AM and then course marshaling between miles 18 & 19 from 8:30 – 1:15 PM.  My mom and my husband are volunteering to drive one of the sag wagons, as well.  I wish I was running this race for a variety of reasons but volunteering is the next best thing.  You can’t have a race without volunteers and I like to give back. 

So, unless you're running the Illinois Marathon, I’ll see you on Monday!  Have a good weekend!