A story of going from being a non-runner to planning for a marathon in three years...

Monday, June 20, 2011

Weekly Workout Wround Up

June 13 - June 19

June 13

My right foot and ankle were still a little sore from the relay so I decided to take the day off from all activity. Just drink wine and hang out with my husband.

June 14

Another rest day. No particular reason other than I wanted to. Life is about balance, right? So Tuesday was me balancing my crazy weekend with another nice, leisurely evening.

June 15

4.7 miles including warm up and 400 meter intervals.

June 16

I'm just a resting fool this week. Thursday was my work's annual staff appreciation event and my coworkers and I partied it up. Maybe a little bit too much partying...

June 17

Because Friday I was useless. I couldn't even eat until after 12:00 PM. Yeah, no workout for me.

June 18

I definitely made up for my multiple rest days by being a weekend warrior. Well, first I made a trip to the doctor's office where they informed me I have some mild bone bruising but no stress fracture, no stress reaction, and really nothing that concerns them. On one hand, I'm glad there's nothing devastatingly wrong with me. On the other hand, I'd love to know why my left hip flexor gives me fits! Diagnosis? Work more on my running form. Joy.

So, with basically a clean bill of health I got home and hopped on my bike. My goal? Ride from my house to the bike path, ride the entire bike path, and ride home. Should total 20 miles, my longest bike ride yet. Turns out, it actually totals 22! And, yes, I rode the entire thing. Averaged just under 14 MPH, too. Pretty good for not really trying and having to stop for traffic.

House - Path - House by snmnstrz21 at Garmin Connect - Details

My left hip flexor was starting to cramp up and my left knee was getting achy towards the end of my ride so I think that's a form issue, too. I guess I'll have to read up some more on proper cycling form.

After I got home I debated taking a nap. But first I decided I'd REALLY earn that nap by doing a quick strength training workout in my basement.
2x10 Box Deadlifts
2x10 Bulgarian Split Squat
2x16 Upright Barbell Row
2x10 Reverse lunge from box w/forward reach
2x10 Modified Dumbbell Cuban snatch
2x10 Swiss ball crunch
2x10 Reverse crunch
2x10 Side crunch
And then I napped. And it was glorious.


June 19

Perhaps it wasn't the best idea to go on a 20+ mile bike ride and lift weights the day before a 7.8 mile hot, hilly trail run? This run was rough. Fun, but rough.

I napped after my run, too. I'm thinking I wasn't quite as recovered from last weekend's relay as I thought.

Total running mileage: 12.56
Total bike mileage: 22.19
Total strength workouts: 1

Hmmm, the bike mileage this week seems to have exceeded the running mileage. I'm okay with that, though. A little bit of a break before I start marathon training is fine with me!