A story of going from being a non-runner to planning for a marathon in three years...

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Weekly Workout Wround Up

June 20 - June 26

June 20

5.5 slogging miles on one really humid evening. But, hey, you gotta do some kind of exercise if you're going to stuff yourself with pizza and beer, right?

June 21

Technically I'm supposed to move on to the next phase of NROLW but I wasn't in the mood to do new exercises. So, I did Stage 2 Workout A again.
2x10 Push presses
2x10 Step Ups
2x10 Dumbbell one point row
2x10 Static lunge w/rear foot elevated
2x10 Push Ups
2x60 sec Planks
2x10 Seated Oblique Twists
2x10 Bridges
2x10 Bridges w/Pull Ins
Apparently while I was in my basement working out a huge storm was starting. I heard from people later that tornado sirens went off and everything. I'm glad I didn't go to the gym to do my workout!

Also, I'm glad that I was done being down there before water started leaking in again. Turns out we discovered a hole in the base of a pipe so we think that's where the water is coming in from now. Joy.

June 22

5.3 miles at the track. We also did a short core workout afterward. 50 sit ups, 25 push ups, 50 supermans. I sort of cheated and did my push ups using the side of a picnic table and even then it was rough. I'm totally counting it as a strength workout.

June 23

4.95 miles at lunch. Ooooh, how I wanted the Garmin to say 5 miles. Actually, let's just round that puppy up to five. I mean, I didn't start it exactly when we started running...

Lunch Time Run South by snmnstrz21 at Garmin Connect - Details

And then when I got home even though I really just wanted to sit on the couch (hey, I'd done one workout already!) I dragged my butt to the basement and did a strength workout.
2x10 Box Deadlifts
2x10 Bulgarian Split Squat
2x16 Upright Barbell Row
2x10 Reverse lunge from box w/forward reach
2x10 Modified Dumbbell Cuban snatch
2x10 Swiss ball crunch
2x10 Reverse crunch
2x10 Side crunch
2x10 Bridge
2x10 Bridge w/pull in
I kind of feel stupid paying for my gym membership now that I have the weights in the basement, but every so often I just WANT to go to the gym so I like having it there as a back-up.

June 24

I woke up on Friday feeling kind of queasy and out of sorts. I was working from home anyway due the annual office carpet cleaning. Let's just say that "working" ended up meaning checking my email in between napping and paying homage at the throne of the porcelain god.

I was really worried about being sick because I had plans to bike alongside Kim while she did a long run Saturday morning. Not to mention my duathlon on Sunday. Thankfully, it was pretty much a 24 hour bug and by Saturday morning I was fine.

June 25

Kim ran 11 miles while I leisurely biked alongside. It was her first time on the Salt Creek bike path and I think we had a pretty good day for it. The path is nice and shaded and it wasn't too humid out.

June 26

My first duathlon! To be honest, although I didn't know what to expect in terms of logistics, reading so many different blogs gave me a pretty good idea of how it would go down. I'm thankful all that information is available because it helped me stay calm enough to focus on actually having fun.

Total running mileage - 19.8
Total biking mileage - 22
Total strength workouts - 3

What a great week! Other than my weird sickness on Friday I got in a nice balance of workouts, did my first duathlon, and had fun on all my runs. Yay!