A story of going from being a non-runner to planning for a marathon in three years...

Monday, June 6, 2011

Weekly Workout Wround Up

May 30 - June 5

May 30

It was super hot outside and my left leg was bothering me so I took the opportunity to have a nice rest day.

May 31st

I went to the gym after work and did another NROLW workout:
2x10 Dumbbell shoulder press
2x10 Step Ups
2x10 Dumbbell one point row
2x10 Static lunge w/rear foot elevated
2x10 Push Ups
2x60 sec Planks
2x10 Horizontal Wood Chop
That first thing should have been a front squat/push press but since squats currently aggravate whatever my groin/hip flexor injury is I traded them out for just the dumbbell presses.

June 1

4.27 miles at the track and about 4 miles of bike riding as well.

June 2

Another strength workout!
2x10 Box Deadlifts
2x10 Bulgarian Squat
2x10 Underhand grip lat pulldown
2x10 Reverse lunge from box w/forward reach
2x10 Dumbbell prone Cuban snatch
2x10 Swiss ball crunch
2x10 Reverse crunch
2x10 Lateral flexion
2x60 seconds Prone Cobra

Plus I not only rode my bike to and from the gym (for a total of about 3 miles) I did 15 minutes of intervals on the stationary bike while at the gym. Pretty good workout.

Interesting tidbit about the stationary bike. I read somewhere that if you can keep your bike RPMs around 90 that will help translate to the ideal running cadence. My stationary bike RPMs without even thinking about it? 90 or 92.

June 3

Hey! Guess who caught a summer cold? Yep, Jason brought home a cold and I definitely caught it. My nose was running like crazy and I was sneezing up a storm at the gym on Thursday night (sorry to anyone who didn't wash their hands...) so I took Friday as another rest day. Well, not entirely. I had an errand to run so I rode my bike another 3 miles round trip. I'm really liking having a bike!

June 4

I went to yoga class instead of running on Saturday morning. I'm trying to give my body a slight break from the high mileage running. We'll see how long I last.

June 5

1.27 mile warm up followed by the Roselle Run for the Roses 5K. Not my best showing ever and I was disappointed by how I did. Race report to come later.

Total running mileage: 8.64
Total strength training: 2
Total bike mileage: 14.62

This wasn't my highest mileage week ever, but I think it was probably one of my more well-balanced weeks. And my left leg thanks me for it. It's not 100% but it definitely feels better.