A story of going from being a non-runner to planning for a marathon in three years...

Thursday, September 1, 2011

Multicolored


Ever wonder why most running shorts and pants are black or at least dark colored? Most of mine are black. I have a few exceptions, most notably my two pairs of pink shorts. I always wondered why exercise shorts trended towards dark colors. Until last night. Basically, this is what I saw when I got home:

Photobucket


Yeah. That's kind of gross. I guess black shorts hide the sweat absorption a little better.

Anyway, last night's workout was a little tough. It's been awhile since we've done our usual drills and it's definitely been awhile since we did strides. As in, on the straight part of the track you pick up speed until you're running all out as fast as you can for about 20 meters.

First we did a two mile warm-up, though. It took a mile for my calves to loosen up but even then my legs still felt like cement. I blame the weight lifting I did on Tuesday night. Or maybe I just didn't eat enough during the day. Or maybe it's that it was so freaking humid outside. Who knows.

What I do know is that when it came time to do my first set of strides Coach Holly was standing at the spot where we should be running all out shouting "You can go faster!" So, I went faster. And then she laughed at me. "You have so much more speed in you, girl." I think we agreed I might be the fastest person on the track....for 20 meters. Too bad that's not a standard race distance.

At one point, though, I hit that 20 meter mark and something just clicked. I felt like I was flying. "Holy crap," I said under my breath. Unfortunately I wasn't able to repeat it. Reminds me of the time I was taking singing lessons and I was able to really let go and a beautiful sound came out of my mouth. I'm still trying to recapture that feeling.

What I don't want to recapture is the look of two-toned shorts after a sweaty workout. I think I'll be sticking to my black shorts on humid days from here on out.