A story of going from being a non-runner to planning for a marathon in three years...

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Margarita Monday


Since I took the entire weekend off from running I was hoping that Monday night I would feel refreshed and ready to run.

Of course, I forgot to take into account that I didn't just sit on my duff all weekend. I did do two strength training sessions and one yoga class.

So maybe that's why my 8:46 average pace felt so hard. My chest also felt tight and for some reason it was kind of a struggle to breathe. It wasn't really until the last half mile that I felt warmed up. Which meant that I pretty much sprinted the last tenth of a mile.

Another sign that I was really out of it last night? I followed the people in front of me when they took a wrong turn! I've been running the same route on Monday night for over a year and yet it took me a few minutes to realize that I'd turned too early. Thankfully it was an easy fix, but still. Weird.

My shin had a few things to say during the run but I think they were mostly related to my form. When my shin started twinging I just focused on adjusting my form and they went away. My hip and quad felt good, too, but I still made sure to stretch them out afterward.

And even though the run didn't feel as good as I would have hoped, dinner with the group afterward was tons of fun. We went to my favorite restaurant where I had a post-run margarita. Races should totally serve margaritas instead of beer afterward. I'd drink to that :-)

Monday Night OPRC by snmnstrz21 at Garmin Connect - Details