A story of going from being a non-runner to planning for a marathon in three years...

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Not So GR8


Source



Ever have one of those runs where the entire time you're thinking to yourself "I really shouldn't be running?"

I totally had one of those last night.

My marathon training plan called for 8 miles at a 9:30 pace for Monday. I decided that after running a new PR in a half marathon the day before I'd take Monday off and run on Tuesday. When I got home from work on Tuesday I tried to pump myself up by putting on my running clothes and flexing in the mirror.

But my Garmin was having issues finding a satellite. My knees felt achy. The side of my big toe on my right foot hurt. My chest felt like an elephant was sitting on it. I forgot to put on chapstick and my lips felt like gummy sandpaper. My legs felt like they were made of lead.

I could not wait to be done with this run.

Also, I think I hit traffic at almost every intersection. I'm not sure I ran one uninterrupted mile the entire time. Not only did that screw with my times, it also made it difficult to find a pace and settle in. Just when I thought I might be breaking through the blahness of the run I'd have to stop for cars.

Plus, I decided not to run with music since I'd be running alone and it would be getting dark before I got home. Listening to myself struggle to breathe and having not much to distract me from the random aches and pains didn't help matters either.

And here's a question. Have you ever run your regular running route backwards? Normally on this route I only go east on Thomas St. Last night I double-backed that way so that I went west. A street looks entirely different when you're running the opposite direction! I kept having to slow down to glance at street signs to make sure I wasn't totally lost.

Still, I did the entire 8 miles even though it wasn't as fast as I would have liked. I just kept telling myself that this was the last weeknight 8 miler I had to run and I wasn't going to cut it short.

Although, honestly, it was one of those runs where the entire time I was thinking "Two days ago I ran how far how fast??? Why does this feel so horrible right now?" A smidge of over training perhaps? I think I'd better get some more sleep before Saturday.

**************************


Activity
Route:--Elev. Avg:625 ft
Location:Forest Park, ILElev. Gain:+3 ft
Date:09/14/10Up/Downhill: [+42/-39]
Time:06:06 PMDifficulty:2.3 / 5.0
Performance

Distance: 8.20 miles
Time:1:23:13
Speed:5.9 mph
Pace:10' 09 /mi
Calories:970
Map
 
Elevation (ft)
 
Pace (min/mile)
 
Splits
MilePace (min/mile)Speed (mph)Elevation
Gain
actual+/- avgactual+/- avg
19' 55-0' 146.0+0.1+6 ft
210' 16+0' 075.8-0.1+6 ft
39' 38-0' 316.2+0.3-6 ft
49' 45-0' 246.2+0.2-3 ft
510' 13+0' 045.9-0.0+6 ft
69' 45-0' 246.2+0.2+3 ft
711' 05+0' 565.4-0.5-6 ft
810' 14+0' 055.9-0.1-6 ft
end9' 43-0' 266.2+0.3+3 ft
Versus average of 10' 09 min/mile

Posted from bimactive.com